Photo courtesy of the Northwest Architect Archives at the University of Minnesota Libraries in Minneapolis.
The Frank Gray house, built in 1883 and designed by Charles C. Miller. The property was originally owned by William C. Gray, Frank's father, who sold the property to his son. The house was deeded by Frank Gray to his wife Alice in 1890 and by Alice back to William C. Gray in 1898. Therefore when Nathan Moore purchased the Gray house in 1900, William C. Gray was the apparent owner, but there were some problems obtaining clear title from Alice Gray, which were not resolved until 1903. This accounts for some of the delay between Moore's purchase of the propery and the construction of the Hills house.